[Scribus] newbie anxiety.

Riku Leino tsoots
Tue Mar 6 15:07:56 CET 2007

> Is there anything in particular that I should avoid when making the
> magazine in Scribus?

tables

> And conversely, do you have any recommendations?

Find out what your printer wants and don't be shy to ask. If you know what
you're doing it will make things flow way nicer compared to a situation where
you've at the very last minute found out the printer requirements and your
layout needs a total redo (i'm kinda over dramatizing here).

Few more things to avoid (having just tables up there was funnier imo) are
transparency and Times new roman. There's no flattener in Scribus so if your
printer wants pdf 1.3 (which they'll most likely want) you don't have any
surprises coming when exporting to pdf 1.3 which doesn't support
transparency.

You probably have also noticed that Scribus isn't exactly like notepad which
everybody will master in two minutes. It will take time to get used to it and
find out the best practices. This mailing list is a good source as is our
documentation at docs.scribus.net and wiki at wiki.scribus.net. There's also
a lively irc channel at freenode called #scribus where you can ask about the
issues you've found or just idle to learn from others.