[Scribus] Wordprocessor -> Scribus - but somewhat difficult

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Tue Jun 26 15:54:55 CEST 2007

Am Dienstag, 26. Juni 2007 15:36 schrieb John R. Culleton:
> On Tuesday 26 June 2007 09:15, Christoph Sch?fer wrote:

> > > It is interesting that TeX was not mentioned in the Wiki article.
> >
> > It's not mentioned because TeX is a typesetting engine, not a word
> > processor.
>
> Quark and InDesign are mentioned, and they are certainly not word
> processors either.

Of course not, they're DTP programs ;)

> > > It
> > > is an Open Source DTP application with a large number of users.
> >
> > If typesetting is the same as DTP for you, then, yes, TeX and its
> > children are DTP applications.
>
> Since TeX in its Context incarnation will also do some amount of
> imposition  then I wonder what is lacking to make it a dtp
> application in your understanding.  I am not arguing, just asking.
> Is it the lack of a built-in text editor? The lack of WYSIWYG?

IMHO, WYSIWIG is a very important aspect of DTP. DTP is about visual design of
pages. I always compare DTP to the final assembly of a machine, where all the
parts produced by others are put together with high precision. To achieve
this precision and keep control over the output, you need a WYSIWIG mode.

Cheers

Christoph