[Scribus] We've switched development to subversion

Craig Ringer craig
Thu Jun 21 21:50:04 CEST 2007

John R. Culleton wrote:
> On Thursday 31 May 2007 15:05, Craig Ringer wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> We've made the switch to Subversion. Anonymous CVS will remain
>> available for at least a week, but will not be updated, and all new
>> work is going into svn.
> Ok got the subversion files in their own directory. Thanks,
>
> I am of the gunzip >./configure >make >make install generation. If it
> ain't broke don' fix it, say I.

Alas, it's broke:

- Downloading big tarballs of code eats a lot of time and bandwidth, and
managing patch sets quickly gets cumbersome and painful, whereas using a
networked revision control system solves this; and
- Autotools has some significant downsides that can waste plenty of time
and cause lots of pain, especially with Qt's meta-object compiler but
far from only then. CMake is far from perfect, but IMO overall it sucks
significantly less - and it's improving measurably.

--
Craig Ringer