[Scribus] 1.3.4 on MacOSX 10.3.9

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Wed Jun 13 05:05:26 CEST 2007

John R. Culleton wrote:
> On Monday 11 June 2007 11:21, Gregory Pittman wrote:
>

>> I'm going to play around with this, not because I have any use for
>> ISBN barcodes, but just for the intellectual challenge. They're
>> quite complex (!), and one of the more interesting asides is that
>> one wonders if there is a mild "conspiracy" to not let people make
>> them themselves. Googling results in a multitude of sites to do
>> this for you, or buy software to do this for you.
>> Thank God for Wikipedia!
>>

> Well with bookland.py you _are_ making it yourself. Someone has
> produced the  tool and is giving it away. If you can't handle keying
> in a simple bookland.py command the same party will produce the
> barcode for you online, again for free. All the specs are public
> domain.  If you want to reinvent this particular wheel have at it.
> No wikapedia needed in this case.
>
> There is no conspiracy. Indeed there is less here than meets the eye.
> Here is the tool. It works. It is free. It is better than the tool
> that comes with Scribus.  Use it if you like.

On the other hand, there isn't anything about the code that Scribus
can't generate itself with a script with output to the page.
And if I make it, I'll give it away. Like I said, I don't have any use
for it. The specs are indeed public domain, they're just not as easy to
find as you might think.

Greg - the Don Quixote of script writing