[Scribus] 1.3.4 on MacOSX 10.3.9

John R. Culleton john
Wed Jun 13 04:27:06 CEST 2007

On Monday 11 June 2007 11:21, Gregory Pittman wrote:

> I'm going to play around with this, not because I have any use for
> ISBN barcodes, but just for the intellectual challenge. They're
> quite complex (!), and one of the more interesting asides is that
> one wonders if there is a mild "conspiracy" to not let people make
> them themselves. Googling results in a multitude of sites to do
> this for you, or buy software to do this for you.
> Thank God for Wikipedia!

Well with bookland.py you _are_ making it yourself. Someone has
produced the  tool and is giving it away. If you can't handle keying
in a simple bookland.py command the same party will produce the
barcode for you online, again for free. All the specs are public
domain.  If you want to reinvent this particular wheel have at it.
No wikapedia needed in this case.

There is no conspiracy. Indeed there is less here than meets the eye.
Here is the tool. It works. It is free. It is better than the tool
that comes with Scribus.  Use it if you like.

--
John Culleton
Able Indexing and Typesetting