[Scribus] snap to grid, page grid, baseline grid

Claus Wilke wilke
Sat Jun 2 17:23:31 CEST 2007

Hello,

could somebody explain me the purpose of the two different grids "page grid"
and "baseline grid" and how "snap to grid" works? I am using scribus 1.3.3.7.

First of all, I find it confusing that there are two grids, but only one
"snap to grid". If I enable "snap to grid", to which grid does it snap? To
both at the same time?

Second, even if I show both grids, it seems to me that "snap to grid" snaps
to locations on neither grid. Consider the following use case: I want to
produce a page with a checkerboard of black and white squares, each 1in x
1in. I would assume that I set up a page grid with major grid spacing of
1in, enable "snap to grid", and then can draw square shapes that align
perfectly with the grid. However, that doesn't seem to be possible. I can
get the upper left corner of a square shape to align with the grid, but the
lower right corner usually falls onto a location that is not on the page
grid (and neither on the baseline grid, as far as I can tell).
Alternatively, I can get the lower right corner to align with the grid, and
then the upper left doesn't. What is going on here?

The attached screenshot shows how I can create a square that is either
smaller or larger than my unit grid cell, but none with the correct size.

Thanks for any help,
  Claus