[Scribus] Paragraph justification in 1.3.4

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins
Mon Jul 23 14:23:41 CEST 2007

2007/7/23, Robert Memering <memering at uni-muenster.de>:

> Am Freitag, 20. Juli 2007 19:33 schrieb Gregory Pittman:
> > We'll see what Andreas has to say, but to me it would seem that the
> > benefit(s) of this would have to be self-evident. Does it make a visible
> > difference in a significant number of situations?
>
> Definitely!

Sure.

I think a sophisticated paragraph-based justification and
> hyphenation engine is essential for all typesetting situations.
> Since Scribus is often used for magazines etc. with narrow
> columns this is especially important.

100% agree.

When I look at a new example on the success stories page,
> I often think: "It's very nice what you can do with Scribus,
> but the text justification is just embarrassing."

But we have to acknowledge at the same time that hyphenation is generally
either misused or even unused in many of the worse cases. What Scribus can
do in 1.3.3.x series sometimes seems worse than it can really accomplish
because of that.

1. Being in the Extra menu, Hyphenation can be easily skipped or forgotten.
It's an extra step.
2. Having to be set properly according to type, typesize and column width,
it can really be difficult to make a call in the Hyphenation settings for a
whole document (in the prefs). But so far we have no other choice.

Hyphenation settings and whether it should be applied or not belongs to
Stylesheets settings. This alone would help justified text in Scribus be
less embarrassing. But again, if some users would do the Extra step it would
help a lot, in the meantime.

The new text engine allows to act upon word and character spacing and is a
great step forward as was demonstrated by Andreas Vox at LGM 2. AFAIK this
works already in 1.3.4 cvs.

That's why I still use TeX in every case where justified text
> is involved.

I understand you mean when "only" justified text is involved, without
extensive graphics.

Cheers!

Louis

Regards,