[Scribus] Spam on this list!

Craig Ringer craig
Sun Jul 22 17:21:34 CEST 2007

mamem at gmx.net wrote:
> Bonjour,
>
> I have more and more spam on this list, could a moderator do something
> to avoid this spam?
>
> I wonder how it is possible to send spam here, isn't it a closed list,
> I mean after inscription?

Spammers are evil.

They will be using a bot to subscribe to the list & reply to the
confirmation mail. Once they're approved as senders, they'll spam as normal.

Turing tests like captchas are the only real way around this, and even
they are incompletely effective (some bots are so good they can solve
ones some humans can't - and let's not even talk about vision
diabilities etc).

This will become an increasing problem. The Scribus list has been lucky
to escape agressive spamming in the past. Sourceforge's lists have long
had problems controlling spam, and I expect the spammers are branching
out. They probably hunt for mailman sign-up pages.

--
Craig Ringer