[Scribus] Printing errors

John Jason Jordan johnxj
Thu Jul 19 17:24:58 CEST 2007

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 11:28:58 +0800
Craig Ringer <craig at postnewspapers.com.au> dijo:

> John Jason Jordan wrote:
>
> > Laserjet-5Si
> > Laserjet-5Si-5Si-MX-PostScript-(recommended)

> Have a look at the CUPS job history ("show completed jobs" in the CUPS
> web interface, https://localhost:631). It might be processing and almost
> instantly rejecting the job. Also look at the CUPS logs in /var/log/cups
> . It might be necessary to turn up the debug log level in
> /etc/cups/cupsd.conf (back this file up before changing it, just in case).

When I try "https://localhost:631" in Firefox the status bar on the
bottom of the page says it is going there, but nothing ever appears and
all I see is the hourglass while Firefox tries to access the data. I've
never used the web interface before, in fact, I didn't even know it
existed.

Suspecting the problem is permissions, I did "sudo firefox" from the
command line, then tried the link, but it still won't open.

See also response to avox.

> > There is one other symptom. After trying to print to these drivers for
> > a while, suddenly CUPS won't respond at all. Whatever Scribus is doing
> > is not something that CUPS appreciates. Logging off and back on again
> > does not cure it. I can't stop and restart CUPS from the command line
> > because it no longer responds. The only solution is to shut down and
> > restart.
>
> That last part, at least, is a little easier to deal with than
> rebooting. You can just use `ps -ef | grep cups' to find the Process ID
> of CUPS (also look for backend helpers like `ipp' or `parport'). Kill
> them with `kill pid' eg `kill 92921' . If they don't die, use `kill -9 pid'.

Instructions saved to my CheatSheet file where I keep tips, tricks and
snips of command line stuff. Thanks.