[Scribus] Cinepaint and CMYK

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Fri Jul 13 23:22:03 CEST 2007

Am Freitag, 13. Juli 2007 22:58 schrieb John R. Culleton:
> I am contemplating using Cinepaint instead of Gimp because of the
> availabilty of cmyk.  In fact I am part way through the install
> process (that ol debbil missing prerequisites blew up ./configure.)

AFAIK, cinepaint doesn't offer CMYK support, and it's certainly no high
priority for the developers, since it's mainly used for films, not pre-press.

> Before I chase my tail further how close is the functionality of
> Cinepaint to Gimp? Are there important features I am giving up in the
> move?

Feature-wise (eg. image editing and retouching), it's way behind, like GIMP
1.1 or so, but in terms of supported colour spaces, cms etc. GIMP isn't even
close to CinePaint.

> My activity centers around massaging illustrations, photos etc. for
> print use.

You should have a look at Krita. It supports all sorts of colour spaces and
colour depths, including 16 bit CMYK.

HTH

Christoph