[Scribus] Generating funds for and from the Scribus community

Pueblo Native pueblonative
Mon Jul 2 15:04:09 CEST 2007

Cedric Sagne wrote:
>  Hi,
>
> I am not sure if this has been attempted before, but one way of spreading
> the word on Scribus could be through seri mugs or t-shirts
>     which can give awareness for the logo (just a suggestion on the objects,
>     these days they do everything you can imagine).
>
>     It could also be a nice way to raise funds from the community to pay for
>     hosting and other development costs - after all paying 20-25 EUR for a
> t-shirt which generates 15-20 eur profit for the Scribus community is really
>     cool way to support the work we all enjoy and actually use.
>
>     In that respect more visibility on scribus.net for a way to donate to
>     the Scribus project is possibly the first step in generating funds. The
>     Scribus project is open-source but this does not mean that those in the
>     community who can afford a small monetary contribution should not be
>     incentived to do so.

While not completely opposed to the idea, there are a couple of questions:
1.  Do we have an idea of where this theoretical money would go.  Before
we start raising money in any way I'd like a good idea of this.  A pile
of money sitting around with no set purpose usually starts to draw
attention, and sometimes the wrong type of attention.
2.  Are we going to raise funds, or increase publicity and awareness for
Scribus?  The two are not mutually exclusive, but if one is more
important than the other, it might influence the cost.  I'd see a great
way of spreading publicity as putting these things out at conventions
for small town newspapers, etc, where we may not want the price to be so
high.