[Scribus] compress_PDF.pl script doesnt work with transparency ?

Julian Robbins julian.robbins
Tue Jan 23 12:59:06 CET 2007

Hi

I've been using the compress_PDF.pl script
http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Web_optimised_PDF to shrink Scribus
created PDF's to make them suitable for emailing.

However, when I came across a PDF created in Scribus with transparent
images (PNGs or TIFFS), saved in PDF 1.4 format, the script makes nice
small  PDF's still, but  the transparency in the images is removed and I
just get a large black areas where the transparency should be.

Is there any way to shrink the PDF's and maintain transparency? I think
the problem is with the pdftops function in the script.

Cheers

Julian