[Scribus] Hyphenation and justification improvement?

Tornóci László torlasz
Thu Jan 18 18:57:55 CET 2007

Hi,

I have already used scribus to make an ECG workbook (see
http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Success_stories#172_page_ECG_workbook_for_medical_students),
and now I am planning to make an ECG course book as well. This one is
going to have lots of text (imported from openoffice) with a wide margin
and lots of illustrations (imported as svg from inkscape). I guess I
will not have major problems, but I am concerned with hyphenation and
justification. I plan to use 10 pt linuxlibertine font for text with a
decent line length, but even under these favorable conditions I think it
is going to take a _lot_ of manual tuning to get nicely set text boxes.

As far as I see scribus changes only word spaces automatically for
justification, it does not change letter spaces or character widths. I
can change these manually, but it takes a lot of time to get a nice
typeset. It would be _so_ nice to be able to set min/max limits of
change for word space, letter space and char width for _automatic_
hyphenation and justification (preferably multiline). I appreciate the
work of the developers, I like scribus a lot, so this is just a humble
request. However, I think the current automatic hyphenation and
justification simply doesn't result in the same high quality result,
that the program gives me in other areas. Do you have a time estimate
for this feature? If it is expected within a couple of months I could
save a lot of manual work.

				Yours: Laszlo