[Scribus] License of scripts

Branko Vukelic bg.branko
Thu Jan 18 17:37:53 CET 2007

On Thursday 18. January 2007. 17:24, avox wrote:
> Thomas R. Koll wrote:
> > Hi Henning,
> >
> > Am 18.01.2007 um 16:41 schrieb Henning Schr?der:
> >> Hi!
> >> As far as I understand Scribus is licensed under the GPL.  With the
> >> Python plugin I can write scripts and extensions which directly call
> >> the Scribus core and gui. Do these files automatically fall under the
> >> GPL or can I choose another license?
> >> Perhaps some clarification is needed.
> >
> > Absolutely not. The author of the script has all rights of his
> > script and this cannot be changed by any relating software
> > and its license.
>
> True. You just loose all rights to use Scribus if you distribute those
> scripts
> under a non-GPL licence... ;-)
>
> Seriously, I don't know what the exact position of the Scribus team
> is on this point. Maybe we should clarify that in the future.
> For myself I wouldn't like it if someone distributed Scribus together with
> non OSS scripts, but I can (probably have to) live with someone
> distributing the scripts independently of Scribus.
> Let's see what the others think.
>
> /Andreas

It would indeed be ideal if we could have all scripts GPD'd. But I think it is
absolutely not cool to restrict the use of other (even non-free) licenses.
Just gives you that much more flexibility.

Plus, Andreas, you are talking about open-sourcing scripts when large
companies are saving no less than Euro 800 million on R&D in Europe alone
thanks to FLOSS.

Best regards,

Branko