[Scribus] Color Management issues

Tino Schwarze scribus.lists
Sun Jan 14 11:11:34 CET 2007

Hi Jon,

On Sun, Jan 14, 2007 at 03:27:02AM +0100, jon wrote:

> > this week, I've come across a color management issue with Scribus. I'm
> > using 1.3.3.7 on Linux (thanks to mrdocs for the SuSE RPMs!).
> >
> > I'm using sRGB as the source profile and EuroscaleCoated as
>
> sRGB is not a good source to convert from. It's colorspace is very
> limited and furthermore it's whitepoint is 6500? K wich is not
> suitable to convert to Euroscale (5000?K).  The whitepoint shift might
> be or is to harsh to preserve colors intents.

I'm currently using GIMP for my image work and it has no real CM support
(to come for 2.4). So sRGB is my best bet, IMO.

> If you want to have better results you should convert any rgb to say
> Adobe RGB (6500?K - but rel. large scale color space) or much better
> ECI rgb (5000?K, large scale). This is for Europe only, though.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

> Euroscale Coated is an commonly used but very old and out-of-standard
> profile.  You might get much better results with the rel. new
> ISOcoated (ECI) or according, depending on what kind of paper or
> printing process you want to use.

I know that Euroscale Coated is quite old, but a lot of print shops here
still say "Euroskala" on their requirements. In theory, I's use
ISOCoated but in practice, a lot of print shops will look weird at me if
I say it's ISO Coated.

> But with photographic images I commonly get the best results when using
> perceptual as rendering intend instead of relative shift (rel.
> colormetric).

The images are not photographic and some time ago, when I looked into CM
the first time, I decided that rel. colorimetric was the way to go.

Bye&Thanks,

Tino.

--
www.quantenfeuerwerk.de