[Scribus] XML and textstyle filter

Riku Leino tsoots
Tue Feb 20 20:32:26 CET 2007

avox wrote:
> > But to begin more modestly, we are trying to find a way to clean up web
> > content while retaining markup, before importing material into Scribus.
> > Researching possibilities, we came across the amazing text-filter
> > feature and were wondering:
> >
> > - Will the way filtering is handled change a lot with the new text
> > engine coming up?
>
> The new text engine and the gettext/filter framework are different
> parts of Scribus. Tsoots has been working on a rewrite of the gettext
> system, he would be the best to explain the changes in that area.
> As far as I understand it's mainly increased flexibility of applying
> filters.

There will be some improvements to text filters with the GT2 (get text 2) for
what the core engine has been coded already.  The two largest changes will
be: 1) it will be possible to filter any file type that has an importer
plugin in Scribus (not only plain text files like it works now) and 2)
character styles will be included there too.

> > - Is there a way the filter can handle html tags, or only after closing
> > tags have been stripped off before import?
>
> Not yet AFAIK. But we'll move towards XML/XHTML+CSS in the future.
> (There will be substantial differences to web styles though, in particular
> concerning font selection, color selection and text layout features)

If we're still talking about Get Text... there will be a generic XML importer
available with GT2 that can be used to build customized importers with user
created mappings between xml elements/attributs and paragraph and character
styles and text formatting attributes.