[Scribus] Editing sla file difficult with text editor

avox avox
Fri Feb 16 16:18:50 CET 2007

Julian Robbins wrote:

> Hi
>
> Odd one.
>
> I tried for the first time to manually edit my .sla file to repoint the
> image locations, as per Gregs notes a couple of days back. (Thanks Greg).
>
> But oddly, in Gedit in Ubuntu 6.10 and Mousepad in a 500k .sla file, it
> gets really slowed down on certain areas of text. Also, very oddly, both
> Gedit and Mousepad show overlapping lines of text in a few places in the
> editor. Its on these overlapping lines that the text editor
> understandable gets a bit slow.
>
> Any ideas why? And can anyone suggest a GUI Text editor that doesn't
> exhibit this behaviour?

Scribus stores special codes &x4 and &x5 instead of tabs and linespace codes
in the file,
so the editor needs to handle those.
This also means that there are very long lines in the file which is probably
the cause
for the slowdown.

/Andreas