[Scribus] ICC-Profiles

Hal V. Engel hvengel
Thu Feb 15 19:42:44 CET 2007

On Thursday 15 February 2007 06:25, Aurelien Roux wrote:
> OK, thanks for all of that.
> I use scribus-ng packaged for Ubuntu 64 on Debian-AMD64.

On Linux your monitor calibration and profiling options are very limited.

One approach used by some users is to dual boot the machine and use Windows
software and a color meter to create your profile(s).  Then use these in
Linux. There are a number of options and price points for the hardware and
software to do this starting at about $50 street price for the Pantone
(really X-Rite) Huey.   This will only work on x86* hardware and you need to
purchase Windows which is a significant additional expense (IE. this makes
the Huey closer to a $200 option for a Linux user).

I have also tried to use VMWare to run a Pantone EyeOne Display LT in a
Windows session on my Linux desktop.  Never got this to work as the software
would always hang just before it wrote out the profile.  But in theory this
should work better then dual booting to Windows if you can find software that
will run.  This approach might work  on non-x86* hardware if you can get the
VM to correctly emulate an x86 environment and if the profiling software will
run to completion but you will also need to purchase Windows for this option.

The last current option is to use ArgyllCMS and one of it's supported devices.
The number of devices is limited and of the affordable ones none are in
current production.  For example ArgyllCMS supports the X-Rite DTP-94 which
sells for $199 for the meter only but which is now discontinued.  You might
be able to still get one of these meters but I expect that none will be
available in a few months.

X-Rite also sells the EyeOne meters which do have a Linux support library.
But this library has never been released and at this point obtaining a copy
of the library is all but impossible.  In addition the license restrictions
on the library are currently such that it can not be used with open source
software or even closed source software that is distributed as source code
and does not contain redistribution restrictions that would make it
impossible for Linux distros to include the software.

In short there would likely be more options available for Linux users if there
were hardware vendors who would either release the low level interface specs
for there hardware or create and release high level interface libraries for
Linux/Unix systems.  X-Rite has released the low level interface specs for
some of  their devices but appears to be discontinuing most of those for
which they have done this in the past.

Hal