[Scribus] color management

Hal V. Engel hvengel
Sat Feb 10 20:13:47 CET 2007

On Friday 09 February 2007 16:21, Damien Hull wrote:
> I'm having trouble understanding and configuring color management.
> Here's what I've got at the moment.
>
>    1. Ubuntu Dapper
>    2. Scribus 1.3.3.2
>    3. LG Flatron L1720P
>    4. Lexmark C534dn ( nice color laser )
>
> Here's what I want to do.
>
>    1. Create a icc profile for my monitor
>          1. I ran lprof and created a profile
>          2. I have know idea if it is working
>    2. Create an icc profile for my printer
>          1. I downloaded the Adobe icc files but they don't have my printer

2. Getting good printer profiles is perhaps the most difficult aspect of color
management.  If you are a Windows or Mac user most paper vendors and many
printer vendors offer OK non-custom profiles.  But profiles are specific to
every element in the printing work flow.  This includes:

 a. The printer drivers.
 b. Printer driver settings.
 c. Paper type (IE. specific brand and type of paper).
 d. The printer model.
 c. The specific ink being used.

Since most free off the self printer profiles are for either Windows or the
Mac this means that these profiles are not going to be correct for a Linux
machine since the printer drivers are different (EI, the work flow is
different).  Fortunately there are a number of vendors that will create
custom printer profiles for a reasonable fee.  For example, the author of
photoprint (a Linux/unix print utility that uses guten-print drivers) has an
inexpensive custom printer profiling service. He charges $25 for an RGB
profile and uses ArgyllCMS as his profiling engine. He has a high end strip
reading spectrophotometer that he uses to measure the printer profiling
targets.    He will also do CMYK profiles but at present does not have
pricing for these. For users on Linux/Unix using the guten-print drivers with
ink jet printers you will likely get somewhat better results with a CMYK
profile. The use of a CMYK profile is not an option on Windows or the Mac
unless you have an after market (extra cost and expensive) RIP which is not
likely for most users. His web site is here:

http://www.blackfiveservices.co.uk/profiling.shtml

I have not used this profiling service but I am sure that others here would be
interested in learning more about it from anyone that has given it a try.

Hal