[Scribus] RGB to CMYK conversion

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b
Tue Feb 6 12:48:16 CET 2007

Am 06.02.07, 12:12 +0100 schrieb Peter Nermander:

> Of course we would not have these problem if all images were using a wide
> colorspace like CIE Lab or something, but if I understand right that would mean
> each pixels color would have to be described using float numbers, thus files
> would grow by something like a factor of 10. So your 4 megapixel uncompressed
> images would become 120 MB instead of 12 MB.

Float increases file size by factor 4 not 10.

Beside other issues with CIE*Lab in ICC workflows, a 16-bit integer would
be fine and is used for device independent storage.

16-bit is just doubling the file size of a uncompressed 8-bit RGB
counterpart. Lab is normally compressing a bit better than RGB.

kind regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
--
development for color management