[Scribus] cmyk workflow

Gustavo Homem gustavo
Mon Feb 5 20:35:49 CET 2007

Hi again,

> > What's the difference in the CMYK conversion of an imported RGB picture
> > between CM=off and CM=on (with the default settings)?
>
> I don't know wich CM settings are used when scribus is in default mode
> (CM is off) - does this sound confusing?
> Simply any color conversion is anyhow managed and done by conversion
> tables or/and algorithms.

I'd like to understand how those two cases compare. See below for the reason.

Maybe some developper can help to clarify this?

> If you switch CM on first think different is that you are able to use
> the input profile setting in the pdf output dialog.
> (and don't use what is hidden and unknown).
> Another is that you are able to set in and output profiles in your
> overall and document settings.
> With CM on you can use the Print Preview (though I think it's broken
> and does not display what it should).
>
> Concluding this, if you enable CM your enabling yourself to let scribus
> provide more correct color conversions - if set properly and as long as
> scrbus has no bug here .... or there.

I understand the principle. However, the workflow I am close to, works like
this:

1- Photographer takes pictures (RGB JPEG)
2- Pictures are edited for color, brightness, etc on PS and saved again (RGB
JPEG)
3- Another guy opens the pictures on PS, changes some more parameters, crops,
cuts and exports from PS as a CMYK EPS using the default PS profile. He also
saves the CMYK PSD.

4a - CMYK EPS is imported to QXP, which then generates Postscript, then
converted to PDF via extra tools
4b - CMYK PSD is imported to Scribus which generates directly PDF

5 - PDFs from 4a and 4b look exactly the same

There are no colour profiles involved besides the PS default. The rest comes
from intuition.

So, I'd like to know how to have this RGB -> CMYK conversion working well
enough to take PS out of the equation (step 3), but without complicating the
process.

> > How do both scenarios compare to the default photoshop RGB-> CMYK
> > conversion?
>
> Different Methods. PS allows to use different CMMs
> (ColorMatchingModules) and provides nearly correct previews on
> calibrated monitors.
> photoshop is expensive. You cannot change colormodes in photoshop
> without CM.
>
> Does this answer your questions?

Well, not completely.

See also my email about recommended workflows for Scribus.

BR
Gustavo