[Scribus] Question "Hors Sujet": extraire Fonts d'un pdf - pdfaus pdf-file sichern - extract font-file from pdf

Louis Desjardins louis_desjardins
Sat Feb 3 00:52:09 CET 2007

jon a ?crit :
> Hi Martin -
>
> The legal part of font extraction.
> Most font licenses doesn't allow extraction from pd files.
> PD or free fonts may be extracted, but I can't see the point, because
> they are freely available.
>
> The technical part.
> A lot of font licences (and most of newer licences) doesn't allow full
> embedding, only subsetting.
> In this case trying to extract the font will fail, because only used
> characters are embedded.
> All I know is that kerning and hinting information will always be lost,
> though I may be wrong.
>
> If your need is to extract only one or a few graphics from a font file
> embedded in a pdf
> you could always use a pdf editor to open and copy the paths.
>
> Knowing this you might find further information here (covering
> extraction of ps1 fonts):
> http://cg.scs.carleton.ca/~luc/pdfextract.html
>
> Wasn't so hard to find with google {pdf font file extraction} or does
> google france block this?
> Would be an interesting fact 'bout google policies.

google.ca - 1st rank
google.fr - 2nd rank

both returns the http://cg.scs.carleton.ca/~luc/pdfextract.html

I wouldn't suggest extracting fonts that way. Font issues are the number
one annoyance in the publishing world, way ahead of all the other
issues. (If you want a recent and interesting example of what I mean,
please review the recent posts on the thread about installing Scribus on
OS X...) Extracting a font is looking for problems imo. Not only will
you waste your time, but down the river, prepress people will have to
deal with any issues coming out of these extracted fonts... if anything
has to go wrong. What you could do is look for the name of the font and
acquire it legally.

Just my 2 cents.

Louis