[Scribus] Too many versions at once?

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Mon Dec 31 00:59:04 CET 2007

Am Montag, 31. Dezember 2007 00:33:01 schrieb Matt Gushee:
> The other day I noticed someone's inquiry about Scribus 1.3.3.10 ... I
> hadn't been aware of it before. So now we have at least *four* 'latest'
> versions of Scribus running around: 1.3.3.9, 1.3.3.10, 1.3.4, and 1.3.5.
>
> Is this one reason so much time elapses between releases? To me it seems
> really counter-productive to have so many versions available. It's too
> much work for the developers, and confusing for users. True, it is
> clearly stated at scribus.net that 1.3.3.9 is the latest stable release.
> But it is also clear that it is a bit old (compared to other open source
> projects that are young, actively maintained, and have multiple
> developers). People want something new, and when they join the mailing
> lists they see that there are newer versions available, so they install
> them and run into trouble, thus more work for everyone ...
>
> My suggestion would be:
>
> 1) Eliminate 1.3.4. Just pull the download packages, and post a message
>     saying that 1.3.4 is no longer developed or supported.

Well that's the answer everyone gets who is asking. 1.3.4 is not mentioned as
the latest stable version on www.scribus.net. But there are people who want
to use its load of new features, so why should anyone restrict access to it?

> 2) Get 1.3.3.10 ready for release, and make it the new stable version as
>     soon as possible.

It's almost finished. Patience, young Jedi ;)

> 3) Concentrate further efforts on 1.3.5.

Well, that's actually what's happening.

> Maybe there are issues that I am unaware of, but who has time to work on
> four different versions of Scribus?

No one's working on 4 versions of Scribus. 1.3.3.x is the stable series and
will receive bugfixes until a new stable version is out. 1.3.4 is available,
but work continues in the 1.3.5 development tree.

So we have two versions that are being worked on.

Cheers

Christoph