[Scribus] Scribus 1.3.4 - Thanks and a pdf export question

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Thu Aug 30 18:19:26 CEST 2007

Am Donnerstag, 30. August 2007 17:27 schrieb Philipp Klaus Krause:
> Louis Desjardins schrieb:
> > First, 1 mm bleed value is rather small. Not absolutely sure of the used
> > value in general in mm but in North America, we use 9 pts or 1/8 inch. I
> > think 3 mm is closer to that.
>
> It's the value on the printer's website, I used the same last time
> (older Scribus, with slightly larger pages to make the bleed since
> Scribus did not support it back then), results were OK.

Please ask your printer again. 3 mm is the standard here.

> >     However when I export a pdf I get each A6 page as an individual page
> > in the pdf (which is fine for a pdf intended for download). The printer
> > wants it as 4 logical pages per pdf with the bleed included. How can I
> > export such a pdf?
> >

> > In the General tab of the PDF export dialog you have a check box below
> > the output filename (top of the dialog) that lets you choose how you
> > want the PDF to export : single pages or one document with many pages.
>
> This lets me export my 8 page document as 8 individual pdfs or as a
> single one. However I want 4 pages per pdf page: Inside scribus I have
> the first 4 pages next to each other and the last 4 next to each other
> the "4-fach gefaltet" (I suppose it's called "4-fold", "folded 4 times"
> or something in English) document layout setting.
> The printer will print my document on one sheet of paper, then fold it.
> They want one pdf page per side of the sheet.

What you want is an imposition feature. It will be included in 1.3.5. For the
time being, you have to hand over the job to the printer or follow the advice
you find here: http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/How_to_make_a_booklet

> > In the Prepress tab you have all the options to output your PDF with the
> > needed printer's marks, bleed values, etc. Please note the check box
> > that allows to use the document's bleed values.
>
> Thanks.
>
> > Don't forget to embed all your fonts, in the Font tab.
>
> Hmm, I can only convert to outline, it won't let me embed (was always
> like that, even in older Scribus versions).

You can't embed OpenType fonts, only Postscript and TrueType.

> Philipp

HTH

Christoph