[Scribus] Cannot import Adobe Illutrator eps

John Brown johnbrown105
Fri Aug 17 20:55:47 CEST 2007

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 09:53:04 -0700, avox wrote:

>John Brown wrote:
> >
> > Hello All,
> >
> > I can open the file in GSView, but with DSC warnings, which I can
>suppress
> > with
> > Options -> Ignore DSC.  Also, if run 'gswin32c filename.eps', it opens
> > without
> > warnings. However, when I try to import it into Scribus, it hangs at:
> >
> > Overall Progress: 33%
> > Analyzing PostScript: 0%
> >
> > CPU utilization goes up to 100%.

<cut>

> > I also tried the following within GsView:
> > PDF (via pdfwrite):
> >   Scribus says the PDF is "not in an acceptable format" but it
> >   opens in Acrobat 8 Reader.
> >
> > EPS (via epswrite):
> >    Scribus has the same problem with the new EPS
> >
> > Pstoedit at the command line tells me:
> > 'Warning: colorimage with more than one datasrc not supported for this
> > backend
> > due to lack of support for images on raster files', and I end up with
> > black-and-white line drawings when I tried converting to PS and SVG.
> >

>IIRC I didnt implement those in our psimporter either.

<cut>

>What was your DSC warning exactly? Something about BoundingBox?
>If yes, you can correct the BoundingBox manually in the EPS file and try
>again
>to convert it to PostScript.

DSC Warning
At line 24492:
  %%Trailer
The trailer is normally at the end of a document.
This line was found more than 32k bytes from the end
of the file.  Trailers are not usually this long.
It is more likely that another PostScript file has been included,
without enclosing it in %%BeginDocument / %%EndDocument.

'OK' will assume this is part of an included file.
'Cancel' will assume this is the trailer

For what it is worth, the only occurrence of %%Trailer actually
occurs at line 24880.

I pressed Cancel, and no more errors were displayed. By pressing 'm' in
GsView (to get messages) I saw several 'Unknown in Page section'
and 'Unknown in Trailer section' messages before and after the DSC
warning.

> > Besides finding someone with a copy of Adobe Illustrator who may be able
> > to save
> > it as "Generic" PostScript, what else can I try to import the EPS in a
> > vector
> > format?
> >
> > System: Windows XP SP2, Scribus 1.3.3.8, Ghostscript 8.57, GsView 4.8.
> >

>You could try to import it in Scribus 1.3.4 (no promises, though) and
>re-import it
>into 1.3.3.9 using the scrapbook (that's a little tricky).

I even downloaded the trial version of Adobe Illustrator CS. My choice of
format was Illustrator EPS or SVG. Each choice had options that you
could set. Maybe if I knew what I was doing, it would work, but the
graphic is distorted each time.

>Please file a bug on bugs.scribus.net and attach your AI file. I'll try to
>improve our PS importer when I find time.

The file is not free. I bought it at iStockPhoto.com. Is that a problem?