[Scribus] Broken Glyph Using Professional Font

Will Kamishlian will
Mon Aug 13 20:10:55 CEST 2007

I'm attempting to use a professional font -- "Goudy Old Style Small and
OSF" -- however, I cannot get it to load in Sribus. I receive an error
that I've seen posted regarding free fonts; however, this font is not free.

scribus -fi
[snip]
Font /usr/share/fonts/my_opentype/Delicious-Bolditalic.otf(1) is duplicate of /usr/share/fonts/my_sans/Delicious-Bolditalic.otf(1)
Font /usr/share/fonts/my_serif/GoudyOldStyleSmallCapsandOSF.ttf has broken glyph 65535 (charcode 65535)
Font Amethyst loaded from /usr/share/fonts/my_decorative/Amethyst_Regular.ttf(1)
[snip]

I know it's certainly possible that Linotype produced a defective font;
however, my experience with Linotype has been excellent, and I choose
Linotype specifically because their fonts seem to have superior on
screen hinting.

I've searched for an answer, and reviewed several posts regarding either
free fonts, or about sets of non-TTF fonts that provide problems. I also
reviewed a wiki entry about checking for font problems, but I've neither
identified the problem, nor found a fix/workaround. I am running Scribus
1.3.3.1 on Linux 2.6.17.13.

Oddly, several of fonts in the Linotype Goudy OS family gave me problems
on installation. Normally, I install the fonts to a directory included
in my xorg.conf and then run 'font-cache -fv ./' within that directory.
Scribus finds the fonts on restart.

In the case of the Goudy OS family, I attempted installation; however,
several (some TTF and some OTF) failed to install within Scribus. These
fonts worked with other programs. (I know that this is not "proof" that
a font should work with Scribus.) When installation failed, I
uninstalled the fonts, ran Scribus again, installed the fonts and
restarted X. Upon Scribus restart, all Goudy OS fonts appeared except
for the "Small Caps and OS."

"Goudy Old Style Small Caps and OS" is the only font, of over 600 fonts,
that Scribus reports as broken. Unfortunately, it is a font that I need
for a current document, and a font that I will need for subsequent
documents.

That said, I would be truly grateful for any help. I have been simply
happy with Scribus and prefer it over InDesign that I tried sometime
back. The developers are to be commended for coming up with a superiour
product in such short order.

-W