[Scribus] Scribus 1.3.4 in Ubuntu amd64 repositories

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Mon Aug 6 15:21:08 CEST 2007

Craig Ringer wrote:

> To the OP:
>
> Given the Scribus packaging, I suspect you are using the scribus-ng
> package (which is the "dangerous" stream) - since for a while that was
> the best way to get 1.3.3.x . It was unfortunate that so many people
> ended up installing the package that was the unstable stream, since it
> set them up for this kind of problem down the track.
>
> If this is the case, you should install the "scribus" package. This
> should contain 1.3.3.x if scribus-ng is 1.3.4 and should work like you
> expect.
>
> There should be no need to build Scribus from source. You can if you
> like, but it's probably nicer to use packages to do the job.

OTOH, it's probably worth trying to work on something more explicit in
the Wiki about how to be able to run more than one version of Scribus,
like many of us do. Although it might seem in some respects unwise to
have the inexperienced risk the frustration that can come from learning
to build, we know from experience that people get this itch to try out
the newer, unstable versions and in the process blow away their stable
version.

In a way the information is there, but perhaps not as explicit as should
be for those who have never compiled before.

Greg