[Scribus] Import of ODT file into Scribus.

Axel Bojer axelb
Mon Aug 6 12:29:51 CEST 2007

Christoph Sch?fer skrev:
> Am Freitag, 3. August 2007 21:57 schrieb John R. Culleton:
>> As an experiment I am trying out a novel in Scribus. I converted the
>> client's half dozen .DOC files to ODT format in Open Office, and I
>> imported the first one (prologue and 10 chapters) into Scribus.  Here
>> are some problems.
>> 1. Every step I take is so slow that I could almost take a coffee
>> break between request and completion.

No (good) solution yet to this one, I think :-( But:

a) Concerning long texts it seems to me that Scribus performs better if
you breaks up your text in parts within the same file (separated
articles for each chapter for instance). I think Scribus then has less
calculations to do for the text flow between the frames.

b) Of course you may also separate your project into more than one file
and then merge the pdfs (se other mails for more on this one).

I have used the first solution (a) for a magazine[1] of between 90 an
120 pages and, although sometimes 1--2 minutes delay, it works pretty
good. (Much RAM seems to help a lot on this one. Perhaps more mhz /
stronger CPU too).

1: http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Success_stories (Cogito)

>> 2. The novel text is in a uniform style. However Scribus managed to
>> generate 28 different styles for essentally identical paragraphs. Is
>> there something I should do as part of the importation process to
>> reduce the number of styles? Or should I just go through and change
>> the style of each such paragraph to a common one?
>
> There is an option presented to you during import called "Merge Paragraph
> Styles" which will prevent the creation of multiple identical styles. It is
> described in the Scribus manual, and the manual is shipped with Scribus to be
> actually read ;)

... and after that you may still have to many styles, and you may want
to delete the extra styles and choose a replacement. This works for me :-)

Best regards
Axel Bojer