[Scribus] Scribus 1.3.4 in Ubuntu amd64 repositories

John Jason Jordan johnxj
Sun Aug 5 06:08:19 CEST 2007

On Sat, 4 Aug 2007 20:35:13 -0700
John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> dijo:

> Update Manager announced that 1.3.4 was available, so I upgraded my
> 1.3.3.8.
>
> It looks very nice, and I'm sure I'll love it. However, it messed up a
> book cover that I had almost finished. That is, I didn't save it, so
> the last work that was done in 1.3.3.8 is still on disk. If I do save
> it in 1.3.4 I'll give it another name.
>
> The cover looks exactly as before, except one text box is completely
> trashed, and I can't fix it. The text is set to 24 points and the
> leading to 30, via a style. Upon opening the document the leading is
> too much, and 2/3 of the text is missing from the frame. I thought the
> text might be missing because the leading was off, so I went into story
> editor and changed the leading to 28 points. When I applied the change
> the lines text became stacked halfway on top of each other. Then I went
> back in and changed the leading back to 30 points, but the display does
> not change. It appears there is a serious problem interpreting styles
> in documents created in earlier versions. Is there an easy way to fix
> the document?

OK, 1.3.4 is hopeless. Text typed in the story editor simply disappears
from the frame. What text does appear does not show the style
correctly. For example, set the leading to 30 points and it appears as
about 36 points. So you change the style by reducing the leading to 28
points. When you apply the changed style to the frame the text suddenly
appears as though the leading was now 14 points.

I haven't lost any work over this yet, but I have projects that I was
working on in 1.3.3.8 that need to be finished. These files cannot be
worked on in 1.3.4 because of the bugs in 1.3.4. In order to complete
these files I need to go back to 1.3.3.8 and get rid of 1.3.4. However,
the Ubuntu repositories no longer show 1.3.3.8. I can uninstall 1.3.4
easily enough, but how can I reinstall 1.3.3.8 on Ubuntu Feisty amd64?