[Scribus] Import of ODT file into Scribus.

John R. Culleton john
Fri Aug 3 21:57:37 CEST 2007

As an experiment I am trying out a novel in Scribus. I converted the
client's half dozen .DOC files to ODT format in Open Office, and I
imported the first one (prologue and 10 chapters) into Scribus.  Here
are some problems.
1. Every step I take is so slow that I could almost take a coffee
break between request and completion.

2. The novel text is in a uniform style. However Scribus managed to
generate 28 different styles for essentally identical paragraphs. Is
there something I should do as part of the importation process to
reduce the number of styles? Or should I just go through and change
the style of each such paragraph to a common one?

3. Paragraph indentation is excessive, but when I edit the style it
shows nothing on the indentation graphic. How do I globally create a
smaller indentation? This relates to comment 2 above I suspect. In
hte sory editor the indent deletes as if it were a tab character.

I will probably typset this novel in LaTeX.  But I would like to work
toward a viable methodology for using Scribus in similar projects.

The environment is Slackware Linux and   Scribus 1.3.3.10.
--
John Culleton
Able Indexing and Typesetting