[Scribus] Shortwords

Owen rcook
Wed Apr 25 23:49:05 CEST 2007

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 13:45:59 -0400
Helge Hielscher <hhielscher at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 20:41:45 +1000, Owen Cook wrote:
> > Which is easier, to write your words and let the plug-in insert the non
> > breaking spaces, or to write your words and manually insert the non breaking
> > spaces?
>
> Why are both systems exclusive? My problem with the current solution is
> that it works silently in the background.
> A solution that replaces (or helps replacing) breaking spaces and
> shortwords with the appropriate non-breaking space would give more control
> to the user. This would also keep the spaces when exported to other media.
>
> Regards,
> Helge

Czech, Polish, and Slovak topographies have mandatory rules on non breaking spaces. (The module was created by a Czeck contributor IIRC).
These rules are probably not so strict in other languages.

The module is easily hackable, though you need the source, and build from source to implement a revised shortwords plugin.

Just looking at this brand new Ubuntu-7.04 installation, I see there is no source code for it (1.3.3.8 27 Feb) so I would have to get it if I wanted to play with the shortwords module.

Owen