[Scribus] Shortwords

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins
Wed Apr 25 00:38:40 CEST 2007

2007/4/24, Christoph Sch?fer <christoph-schaefer at gmx.de>:

> Dear members of this list,
>
> You may be aware of the fact that Scribus 1.3.4 will be released soon.
> Therefore, I avail myself to the opportunity of publicly asking your
> support.
> One of the notable features of Scribus is the short words plugin. It
> prevents
> un desired line breaks after or before certain abbreviations, e.g. Dr. or
> m.
>
> Unfortunately, not all languages are supported yet, actually quite the
> contrary. Currently we have short words data for the following languages:
> Czech, English, Estonian, French, German, Polish, Portuguese (Brazil),
> Russian, and Slovak.
>
> As you probably see, some important languages are missing. To create a
> list
> abbreviations for the short words file, will not take long. You can simply
> grab a dictionary in your language, since many dictionaries contain a list
> of
> common abbreviations. You can also try if wikipedia in your language has a
> list of abbreviations.
>
> Creating a list of shortwords is quite easy, and you will probably
> understand
> how it works from an example. Here's the english list:
>
> #  English stuff START here
> en=Dr. ,Dr ,Mr. ,Mr ,Mrs. ,Mrs ,Ms. ,Ms ,Prof. ,Prof ,Rev. ,Rev ,
> # claudio's fix en= Kg, kg, g, mg, oz, lb, cwt, km, Km, m, cm, mm,
> en= kg, g, mg, oz, lb, cwt, km, m, cm, mm,
> #  English stuff - THE END

Please also note that you have to be aware of one issue arising with the use
of the apostrophe [and there might as well be other issues too, so it is
better to have test file for testing before committing to the release].

The examble of French will help understand. In an earlier version of the Fr
list for Short Words we had letters alone such as l for litre. Of course
there are no l alone in French other than this abbreviation. But when the l
is followed by an apostrophe, which happens in lots of cases even in short
texts, this l' was understood by Short Words as one single l and thus it was
putting a non-breaking space before it, which was producing quite an ugly
effect on the justified lines as you can imagine.

All this to say, please beware and don't test with lorem ipsum. Test with
your own language and use a test file that contains enough cases to track
down such a behavior. At least in French, letters alone should be checked
with much attention if they can be seen followed by an apostrophe. Other
languages might be in that case too. For instance, t' m' l' d' s' are
possible cases.

I don't know yet if this issue has been corrected with the apostrophe or if
we have to act on the list itself. I will be glad to know the status for
this now.

And it would aslo be a good occasion to ask whether the thin space will make
it into Short Words soon? :)

HTH

Louis

As you can see, both lists start with the language abbreviation: en=

> Then simply add the abbreviations in your language. If there must be no
> line
> break _after_ the abbreviation, add an empty space after it followed by a
> comma. If no line break _before_ the abbreviation is desired, add an empty
> space before. That's all.
>
> You can make your lists available to the team by filing a bug and
> uploading
> your language file here: bugs.scribus.net. Please file a bug for each
> language.
>
> Thank you for helping to make Scribus 1.3.4 a success!
>

> Cheers!
>

> Christoph

Louis Desjardins
Organisateur / Organiser