[Scribus] cmyk vs rgb

jon info
Mon Apr 23 16:28:57 CEST 2007

Hi Farid -

I'ld like to throw something else into this - may be something visual
can make this a bit
more clear what happens with rgb=>cmyk conversion.

There are three images:

http://www.jonhagen.de/transfer/srgb.png
This one is srgb (a very limited rgb colorspace), say the colors we
like or want.

http://www.jonhagen.de/transfer/gammut_warning.png
This is the same image with "gammut warning" on. Greying out the
colors wich are not printable in cmyk color space (here ISO FOGRA27).
Here you can see that most of the rgb color space isn't printable
with standard cmyk colors. All the greyed out colors will be converted
to it's nearest neighbours (clipping).

http://www.jonhagen.de/transfer/cmykISO.png
This is the same image softproofed with the ISO FOGRA27 profile, all
colors converted to this cmyk space.

One point here is that additive or light colors (rgb, r+g+b => white)
aren't really comparable to substractive or body colors (reflective,
cmyk, c+m+y=>(sth. like) black)

If you are able to avoid non mappable colors in your rgb images you
will get fine result when converting, if not clipping will always!
occur.

Most of the intensive and bright blues and greens of any rgb space
aren't printable. Reds and yellows, if not too bright, are not so
critical.

One way around this is using only, or adding, spot colors or luminant
printing colors, to cmyk.
  Jon