[Scribus] cmyk vs rgb

m8130 at abc.se m8130
Mon Apr 23 09:25:18 CEST 2007

> One would expect that if scribus calculates RGB->CMYK and acrobat
> displays these CMYK colors on the monitor (using RGB of course) that
> the colors would be the same. that is if the calculations are the
> inverse of each other. Or am I completely wrong here?

Yes, you are wrong. CMYK is NOT some kind of inverse of RGB. CMY could be,
kind of.

The point is, the final look of both RGB and CMYK depends on the
displaying device (monitor or printer/ink/paper combination).

The same RGB value will look different on different monitors.

The same CMYK value will look different of different printers and
different papers.

That is the reason for color profiles. A color profile is the link between
the displayed color and the corresponding RGB or CMYK value FOR THAT
DEVICE.

/Peter