[Scribus] Quark & Co.

jon info
Sun Apr 22 03:13:47 CEST 2007

Am 22.04.2007 um 00:04 schrieb Plinnell:

> On Saturday 21 April 2007, Thomas Zastrow wrote:
>> As the same question arises over and over again, I think it would
>> be a good idea to write a wiki article. So, I started one:
>>
>> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Why_Scribus_doesn%27t_supports_Qu
>> arkXpress_and_other_major_publishing_applications
>>
>> Please feel free to change / add / delete the text ;-)
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Tom
> Hi,
>
> What is not covered here:
> http://www.scribus.net/index.php?name=FAQ&id_cat=3#q19 ?
>
> Cheers,
> Peter

"Note: Not even Indesign CS can save to Indesign 2.0 format."
I think the conclusion mentioned above is a misinterpretation.

I think, though this is true, this is policy of Adobe to press users,
groups and services to do massive upgrades simultanously.
It's not uncommon, and not only bond to software desgin, to misuse
version or product proprietary and non-interchangeable
(file) formats this way. And this is also not very uncommon for
enterprises wich are in a dominant position.
Adobe did create a Quark(4) importer (? also 6 sqm ?) for CS1 -
though not perfect it was at least able to import most of the
documents structure.
Why shouldn't they be able to create something wich can import there
own formats, even if they need to read 6 square meters in 6 point again?
If Adobe would act user-friendly they would act differently. They
aren't. They are shareholder value and they are monopolistic.

I think using OPEN file formats, like scribus does, is very
appreciable and Quark and Adobe should adopt that, too - not vice versa,
or they should include export scripts to open editable interchange
formats.

Cheers
Jon