[Scribus] advanced booklet printing

Tino Schwarze scribus.lists
Thu Sep 28 10:24:20 CEST 2006

On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 05:02:44PM +0200, Martin Tlustos wrote:

> my system is Suse 10.0 with the normal YOU updates, no big extras.
> Could someone help me with this: I want to layout a booklet in A5 and print it
> in two versions: one for sending via email (without booklet reordering so it
> is easier to read on screen), one with booklet reordering (for printing).
>
> In the wiki I found the howto about booklet printing via kprinter. That works
> nice if I start with A4 pages, but I want to start with A5 and just reorder
> the pages so that when printed they come out like a booklet. I don't want to
> start with A4 because the bigger images will cause the pdf's to be much
> bigger.

Have a look at multivalent. It can do that sort of things (rearranging
pages, mapping 2 A5 to 1 A4 etc.)

You might also find the attached script helpful for preparing the mail
version since Scribus' PDF output is optimized for maximum quality, not
size. You need Ghostscript 8.5+ and xpdf for the script to work.

Ghostscript 8.5+ is recommended anyway for serious work, so you
might want to build it yourself, it's not difficult and you also need
xpdf (for the pdftops tool).

HTH,

Tino.