[Scribus] newsletter setup

John R. Culleton john
Wed Sep 27 21:55:30 CEST 2006

Os the firn Tuesday 26 September 2006 19:58, Tony Sperling wrote:
> Herb,
>
> I probably shouldn't be commenting on this, but I am in the habbit of
> printing PDF technical manuals as booklets on my HP PSC 2355. I have never
> tried producing anything like a newsletter my self, but if I were up to
> that, my first instinct would be to lay-out an ordinary multi-page
> document - making all the definitions in scribus - import the text and any
> images from somewhere else - convert it all to PDF, and simply send it to
> the printer, configuring it for a 'Booklet job'. The HP Windows printer
> driver should handle that with ease. You could even have it do the
> portrait/landscape rotation for you, or do vertical/horizontal bindings
> either left or right side. I do not think that it would be at all helpful
> to try and set up Scribus to handle the page following for folding/cutting,
> as you describe.

I do booklets from various flavors of TeX, often using Ghostscript
scripts to format the file for printing. Here is a pair of linux
scripts I use frequently. The output is on tabloid (11 x 17) paper:
psbook $1.ps $1b.ps
echo 'psnup'
psnup -2 -ptabloid -Pletter $1b.ps $1p.ps
echo 'psselect'
psselect -o   $1p.ps $1o.ps
psselect -e -r  $1p.ps $1e.ps

lpr $1o.ps
echo 'switch paper'
read x
lpr $1e.ps
Since  Scribus lacks a Postscript output an initial step of converting
the pdf to ps form would be needed, e.g.:
pdf2ps $1.pdf $1.ps

as the first line of the first script.

The second script is run repetitively to print the booklets. My
Ricoh printer does not duplex automatically.

When I use the  Context version of TeX the booklet making is built
in to the software.
--
John Culleton
Able Indexing and Typesetting