[Scribus] Scribus, lulu.com, and Lightning Source Inc.

Jeremy C. Reed reed
Tue Sep 19 00:00:25 CEST 2006

> > book which will be initially
> > offered on lulu.com, I would like to opt for global
> > distribution through Lightning Source Inc
>
> > Will LSI really be able to tell the difference between
> > my Scribus PDF and Distiller generated PDFs?
> >
> I asked explicitly in July Don Campbell, who maintains some extra pages
> for Lulu.com, because I thought Lulu.com, a company founded by a
> prominent RedHat Linux representative, would offer some Open Source
> alternative. But no, the requirement for Adobe Distiller is strict as
> far as you go for global distribution.
>
> Redistilling your Open Source PDF was the solution provided. However,
> this might have implications on what you can do technically.

I use scribus to generate my book cover published by Lulu. And I used
"pdfeTeX-1.21a" as the producer for the book itself. It worked good at
Lulu.

One I had a problem with Kinko's Online with a ghostscript generated
document, but I upgraded my version of ghostscript and it was accepted and
printed well. (Kinko's 24 hour service saved me when my printer died late
at night and I had fifteen course books to hand out to students in the
morning.)

I haven't tried the Lightning Source yet, but I was hoping too.