[Scribus] Can't place some JPEG images

ols6000 at sbcglobal.net ols6000
Wed Sep 13 08:36:32 CEST 2006

There have been a number of suggestions for dealing with Scribus'
inability to handle some images. None of these has been useful in
getting at the root cause of the problem, which is most likely to be
in the code that Scribus executes to get the image. Doing a number of
experiments to see what does and doesn't work may provide some clues,
but will not make Scribus work any better, which is the goal.

6500 x 4000 pixels at 600 dpi is not that large (about 11 x 6
inches), nor is the 104 Mb (4 bytes/pixel?) that is required for the
image. I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that Scribus has the
ability to crop images.

So, can we hear from someone familiar with the Scribus source code,
who can tell me where to start looking? Then I will be asking for
advice on how to build Scribus under Windows.