[Scribus] Can't place some JPEG images

frank gaude' tanzen
Wed Sep 13 00:40:36 CEST 2006

avox wrote:

> Cedric Sagne wrote:
>
>> 6500x4000 is not that big... on 300dpi it is "only" 21x14 inches and as
>> it's probably for a poster 105x70 cm on 150dpi... so although it is
>> excluded for a book, Scribus definately has to manage the memory
>> requirement, provided the RAM follows.
>>

> A 6500x4000 color image needs 104 MB RAM when opened in Scribus (yes,
> Scribus loads the full image uncompressed).
>

>> Are Linux installs more stable than Windows installs on things like this?
>> Could someone try it out on a Linux distro maybe?
>>

> I don't know enough about Windows memory management to answer this.

I've used Windows since 1988 and Linux from 1996, I can't see any
difference in stability, both being rock steady. The only problems I had
since the beginning is hardware that fails. Since 1995 Win NT, Win 2000
and now Win XP are totally stable. Linux has been that way from its
beginning in 1992, as far as I can see talking to many professional
friends of mine in the business.

frank