[Scribus] Can't place some JPEG images

frank gaude' tanzen
Mon Sep 11 22:08:37 CEST 2006

ols6000 at sbcglobal.net wrote:
> At 12:47 PM 9/11/2006, you wrote:
>
>> I'm just guessing, but with images that size... 6500 x 4000... there
>> can and will be problems... sometimes, the application just times out
>> before it can read the entire file.  Try reducing the JPEG to page
>> size... if that doesnt work, you may have a corrupted file.
>>

> There is no reason why Scribus should not be able to handle what you
> are calling "large images".
>
> I would like to know what you mean by "the application times out".
> There is no time restriction on the operation of the pgm.
>
> I have demonstrated that I don't have a corrupted file, by having the
> same failure occur on different files, and by using different pgms to
> successfully read these files.
>
> So we are back to the original question: why can't Scribus read some
> large image files? What is the limitation (or error) in Scribus that
> restricts it to smaller files? How can this limitation (or error) be removed?

Gosh, I resampled an image to 6000 by 3000 pixels in Windows Paint Shop
Pro, and put it into a frame in Scribus 1.3.3.3. My computer has 2
gigabytes of RAM. I had no problems at all. I started with a page-sized
frame, got the image, and then using Properties "scale to frame size"
button. All went quickly on my AMD 64 2x 4400+ box. The image saved as a
PNG was over 11 megabytes in length.

frank