[Scribus] some concerns / making scribus better

Louis Desjardins louisdesjardins
Sun Sep 10 17:52:57 CEST 2006

>Louis Desjardins wrote:
>>  Craig Bradney a ?crit :

>>>  This is in the end not very difficult, but what shortcut key would be
>>>  appropriate? And when rounding, how?
>>>

>How about just having a small button (to which you might attach a
>keyboard shortcut as well) beside each value to eliminate non-zero
>decimal values (ie, truncate to an integer). It's not clear to me that
>rounding up or rounding down has any particular benefit to the user.
>After that, the default behavior of mouse wheel, arrow keys, or arrow
>buttons is to raise or lower by 1 unit.
>Rounding in scientific circles has some importance, and therefore you
>end up with rules about how to round 1.5 vs 2.5 -- my training in
>chemistry was that you round the first to 2, and the second to 2 also (I
>won't get into the logic here).
>For Scribus I think we're just looking for a quick visual way to get a
>desired result, without having to think about mathematical issues,
>therefore just truncate 127.03, 127.88, 127.5 each to 127, and let the
>user take it from there. With the complaints that we are hearing about
>this, it seems likely that in actual use, someone adjusting a value will
>end up rounding/truncating /first/, then adjust the value afterward.

Exactly that.

Users just don't always need the amount of preciseness the program
offers. When they do, Scribus offers up to the third decimal of
precision - which, btw, is beyond the necessities of a vast majortiy
of needs. Nonetheless, you can be as precise as down to the 3rd
decimal... I think everyone would be happy with your suggestion.

Happiness... :)

Louis