[Scribus] some layout stability concerns from freetype kerning bug

Michael Koren kung42o
Wed Sep 6 03:34:31 CEST 2006

Gregory Pittman wrote:

> Michael Koren wrote:
>>
>> If I understand correctly, 1.2 uses the maximum height of all characters
>> in
>> the font to position the first line in a frame, whle 1.3 uses the tallest
>> character actually in the line so the text fit in the frame is tighter.
>> I've
>> seen the change from my old files. I'm sure it could be converted on
>> import,
>> or else they could both be supported as options. (The old behavior might
>> be
>> useful sometimes to get text in different frames to line up better.)
>>
> Perhaps we'll get feedback from the developers, but my observation has
> suggested that older versions made an excessive amount of space (more
> than could be accounted for by the size of characters) above and below
> the baseline, and this has mostly been eliminated. Furthermore, even in
> 1.3.x, the space seems static, ie independent of the actual characters
> on the line.

Could be. Come to think of it, I think there's still an outstanding RFE for
allowing a frame to fit completely tightly around the text, so we may see
another change here too.

> Greg

Michael