[Scribus] some layout stability concerns from freetype kerning bug

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Wed Sep 6 03:07:07 CEST 2006

Michael Koren wrote:

> avox wrote:
>
>> Michael Koren wrote:
>>
>>> Sounds good. Does that include the 1.2 -> 1.3 changes as I mentioned
>>> above?
>>>

>> I don't know the current state of this change. If possible we should
>> change the fileloader to
>> neutrailze that effect.
>>

> If I understand correctly, 1.2 uses the maximum height of all characters in
> the font to position the first line in a frame, whle 1.3 uses the tallest
> character actually in the line so the text fit in the frame is tighter. I've
> seen the change from my old files. I'm sure it could be converted on import,
> or else they could both be supported as options. (The old behavior might be
> useful sometimes to get text in different frames to line up better.)

Perhaps we'll get feedback from the developers, but my observation has
suggested that older versions made an excessive amount of space (more
than could be accounted for by the size of characters) above and below
the baseline, and this has mostly been eliminated. Furthermore, even in
1.3.x, the space seems static, ie independent of the actual characters
on the line.

Greg