[Scribus] some concerns / making scribus better

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Tue Sep 5 18:50:01 CEST 2006

Adrianna Pinska wrote:
> On 9/5/06, Louis Desjardins <louisdesjardins at videotron.ca> wrote:
>
>> Snap to guides is working in Scribus. Please check out the menus. You
>> can fine tune the "snapping" option in the Preferences.
>>

> Yes, I know that.  I meant a similar "snapping" option which would
> make an object jump to round-number positions while it was being
> nudged (with arrow keys).

What you're saying is it's too difficult to double-click on a number
value, then enter the integer?
There are plenty of users I think that wouldn't want rounding all the time.

>> Also, Guides
>> can be put on a Master Page so there is no need to manually redraw
>> them for each page.
>>

> But sometimes it's only necessary to put guides in the same place on
> two or three pages, and it's not worth the effort to make a new master
> page for them. :)  That was only one particular example of where
> nudging to round numbers might be useful.
>
> At the moment I don't ever use the arrow keys -- they're supposed to
> help position objects precisely, but they don't actually do that: if
> you have two objects on the page which you positioned by hand, it's
> almost guaranteed that they'll be positioned at completely different
> fractional offsets from whole numbers, and thus you will not be able
> to use arrow keys to line them up / make them touch / make them a
> round number apart.

This may also be a version issue. Playing around with 1.3.3.3, I notice
that sliding frames around with the mouse, using the arrows, changes by
integer values (I'm using points).

Greg