[Scribus] OT - Guidance needed for Book Publishing

John R. Culleton john
Mon Oct 30 15:34:20 CET 2006

On Sunday 29 October 2006 15:52, Asif Lodhi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I plan to write a book (a thick one).  I have chosen TeX as the main
> tool as I plan to convert the stuff to many forms, there will be math
> stuff/diagrams/charts in the book and I need other things as well such
> as TOC & Index.  I think it'll take at least 1.5 years to write.  I
> have yet to go through the TeX book - so this will be a good project
> to learn TeX.  I definitely plan to use Scribus and Inkscape for
> page-layout where I can.
>
> YOUR HELP:
> ===========
> I absolutely do NOT know as to how to approach the publishers,
> printers, handle copyright stuff and receive the revenue generated
> from the book's sale. I even wonder as to what procedures/models the
> publishers might offer me so that I can claim my revenue share.  If
> anyone of you knows about this process then I would be thankful if you
> could help me.  The book will be simply superlative but since I have
> absolutely never! written any book at all - I am afraid I won't be
> able to get the well-known publishers' attention.  I would like to
> give this work to a US publisher.
>
> I have also thought about posting it in an HTML form on the web and
> earn from ads.  But in that case as well, I don't know how I can
> minimize copyright problems.  I have seen PDFs of many of the
> best-selling books at different places on the Internet.  So even if I
> get it printed in a book form, there is no guarantee that its PDF
> won't be posted on one or more of the Internet sites for simply free
> download!
>
> I need your comments & advice.  Please send me your replies
> off-the-list - as this is an off-topic post.
>
> --
> Best regards,
>
> Asif

There are many excellent books written to answer these questions. Before
publishing a book or seeking to have it published please read some books.

I have prepared an annotated bibliography covering most of the important books
for self publishers:

In addition you may find it useful to hang out on some publishing lists like
pub-forum and self-publishing at yahoogroups.com which I co-moderate.
In terms of pdf files, if only you and your hired hands (editor, layout
person, printer) receive the pdf file there is effectively zero chance of it
being priated in pdf form. Of course if you publish it as an e-book in pdf
form then it is easy to copy it and redistribute it. Perhaps that is what you
are seeing redistributed.

--
John Culleton
Able Indexing and Typesetting