[Scribus] Managing transparency

Tino Schwarze scribus.lists
Thu Oct 19 19:43:22 CEST 2006

Hi Cedric,

On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 08:23:13AM -0700, Cedric Sagne wrote:

> I would like to request more specific information. I uploaded the
> files on my company's server, starting with a small version of the jpg
> file, the png i did , which I saved with a transparent (w Irfanview),
> but which keeps loading (eg in photoshop) without it.

The transparency in the PNG loads just fine with GIMP. I don't know
Photoshops PNG abilities.

> I managed to save a TIFF file with transparency (loads with
> transparency in photoshop), but when scribus loads it, the
> transparency is gone (like the final output file shows)

> http://www.poeware.com/camera2.png
> http://www.poeware.com/camerasmall.jpg
>
> http://www.poeware.com/transparencysupport.sla
> http://www.poeware.com/transparencysupport-page1.jpeg
>
> Any help much appreciated. What do I do wrong in Scribus??

Ah, I see. Select the picture (your Scribus file didn't contain one
BTW), go to the properties palette and set the background to none.
(see http://tisc.de/tmp/transparencysupport.sla - it exports just fine
as a JPEG)

@developers: Please change the default if this didn't already happen.
IMO an image frame with background color is pretty rare and a very
frequently asked question.

Bye,

Tino.

--