[Scribus] LinLibertine and Scribus – a few questions

Helge Hielscher hhielscher
Thu Oct 19 01:17:30 CEST 2006

On 10/18/06, Philipp H. Poll wrote:
> > b) When using the Linux Libertine underlined in Scribus with justified
> > text there are gaps between the underline. Is this a Scribus or a
> > LinLibertine issue?
> Neither nor. Its a matter of good typography. In simple layout programs
> like OpenOffice or Word, you'll have less problems. But more complex
> layout software do their own tracking. I'm not yet sure, whether the
> underlined variant of Linux Libertine is really wanted

The underlined variant was one reason for us to use LinLibertine. We
produce a German/Russian magazine for immigrants and we mark difficult
words in German in both the German and the translated Russian text.
Underlining is
a good unobtrusive way to do this.

> > c) Does the oblique font contain a modern "z"?
> First of all, the liberine italic is a real italic and no oblique (at
> least for the latin glyphs). Secondary, I've already noticed that most
> English users don't like the Oldgerman z-Form. In future I will make an
> ordinary (faceless) z availible.

Please keep the Old-German z too. It looks very nice in short quotes or
parenthesises. It looks only odd when used together with continuous text in
regular shape.

Thanks again,
Helge Hielscher