[Scribus] Research journal publishing

Thomas R. Koll tomk32
Wed Oct 11 10:56:56 CEST 2006

Am 09.10.2006 um 15:02 schrieb Jonathan Briggs:
> I'm currently testing Scribus (1.3.3.4 under Fedora) to see whether we
> could use it for our research journals, as a possible replacement for
> our existing DTP software, 3B2.  Maybe it's a bit unfair to compare
> Scribus with a very expensive piece of high-end software, but from
> what
> I've seen of Scribus, it's very impressive.

What I've read about 3B2 is quite impressive, no wonder it's
that expensive.

> One of Scribus's current weaknesses, from our perspective, is that
> there
> seems to be very little control over hyphenation. For example, there
> doesn't seem to be a way (except maybe by modifying the hypenation
> dictionary) of stopping two-letter breaks like "ex-ample", which we
> don't allow. I might be misunderstanding something here -  is there
> any
> way of manually tweaking the hypenation at particular points in the
> text?

I'm doing hyphens manually because Scribus (still?) saves every single
possible hyphen in a quite bad way which causes really big files.
Doing it manually is also the last chance for proofread in my workflow.

> Is there a way of going from a given point in a text frame to the
> story
> editor, with the cursor at the corresponding place in the story
> editor?

Nice idea and should be easy to implement too.

ciao, tom

--
http://www.tomk32.de - just a geek trying to change the world
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benutzer:TomK32