[Scribus] How to insert farsi text ?

Plinnell mrdocs
Sun Oct 8 22:11:09 CEST 2006

On Sunday 08 October 2006 19:50, Lamia Vermel wrote:
> Hi,
> I am french and I'm working voluntarily for a persian association
> and I have to carry out a quarterly newspaper.
> My computer runs under Windows XP (LSD) but I can also work on
> Linux. Here is my problem:
> The newspaper must be bilingual (french/farsi), I'm facing problems
> on the persian part as when I copy and paste a farsi text or import
> it, the letters seem to be disconnected and inside out.
> I already installed persian unicode fonts on my system persannes
> unicodes and also modified the Regional Options into Farsi, but
> nothing works (it's as if I wrote everything in uppercase).
> There would the possibility to insert manually the special
> caracters but I will take me an eternity ...
> If anyone can help, I would be very grateful !!
> Thanks a lot !!!
>

> ****
>
> Bonjour,
> Je travaille b?n?volement pour une association persanne, et je suis
> charg?e de r?aliser un journal trimestriel.
> J'ai donc d?couvert Scribus et toutes ses fonctionnalit?s utiles.
> Je suis sous Windows XP (LSD) mais je peux aussi me mettre sous
> Linux (Ubuntu).
> Mon probl?me est le suivant :
> Le journal ?tant bilingue (fran?ais/farsi), je bloque sur la partie
> persanne car quand je copie-colle un texte en farsi ou l'importe,
> les lettres semblent d?tach?es et ? l'envers.
> J'ai install? des polices persannes unicodes sur mon syst?me et ai
> m?me modifi? la gestion des options r?gionales sur l'ordi, mais
> rien n'y fait (c'est comme si on ?crivait tout en majuscule).
> Il y aurait l'option ins?rer un caract?re sp?cial, mais je vous dit
> pas le temps que ?a va me prendre ...
> Si vous aviez des astuces, je suis preneuse !!
> Merci d'avance.
>
> ---
> Lamia

Hi Lamia,

Adding support for Farsi text with the kind of precision required for
displaying text in page layout is beyond the current capabilites of
Scribus.

However, this is an important goal for us before we release Scribus
1.4. The 1.3.x versions are development versions and we are still
adding features.

I hope you understand that adding the special requirements of
non-Latin languages with the precision and typographic accuracy we
require in Scribus is not trivial and requires very specific code for
many scripts (Arabic, Farsi, Hindu etc. ). We hope to add this
sometime after 1.3.5 is released.

Cheers,
Peter